HALIIMAILE, Hawaii (KHON2) — Maui firefighters are working to put out a fire in Haliimaile on Wednesday, July 8.
The fire began Tuesday night at 11:30 p.m. on the makai side of Haliimaile Road near the gun range and Haleakala Highway.
The Maui Fire Department responded with 40 personnel and will work throughout the night to contain this fire.
MFD officials said that HC&D quarry and Central Maui Landfill was evacuated earlier as a precaution. The winds were strong and steady throughout the day, estimated at 30 miles per hour with high gusts.
As of 4:30 p.m. roughly 1900 acres of land was burned and it was 30 percent contained. But around 10:30 p.m. officials announced that the fire grew to about 2,500 to 3,000 acres in size.
Maui residents in the area of Skill Village in Paia are urged to prepare for possible evacuation due to the Haliimaile fire.
The cause of the fire is not yet known.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Some travelers frustrated with having to show negative COVID-19 test prior to departure
- Pedestrian dies in Nanakuli accident
- Mayor-elect sweats the small and big stuff on basic city services
- Businesses will have to pay three times more in unemployment tax in 2021
- Oahu family coping with tragedy finds strength in giving back