(CNN) — Two senior military leaders say women should be required to register for the draft.
Restrictions that barred women from combat jobs in the U.S. were lifted by the defense department last year.
Marine Corps Commandant General Robert Neller told a Senate hearing on women in combat Tuesday that “every American who’s physically qualified should register for the draft.”
Army Chief of Staff General Mark Milley said he agreed.
Acting Secretary of the Army Patrick Murphy told the hearing the matter should be put to a national debate. He also encouraged Congress to look into the issue.
The current system requires men between 18 and 26 living in the U.S. to register for the Selective Service System.
They could be called into service in the event a draft is re-established.
The last time a draft was used was during the Vietnam war.