WAIKAPU, Hawaii (KHON2) — No word on what caused the brush fire that sparked near Kuihelani Highway at Waiko Road on Aug. 23.
[Hawaii news on the go–LISTEN to KHON 2GO weekday mornings at 7:30 a.m.]
Firefighters responded around 12:18 p.m. and worked to suppress the fire both by ground and by air. An hour later at 1:30 p.m. fire officials with the Maui Fire Department reported that the brush fire was under control and that firefighters are working to fully extinguish the fire.
About 1.32 acres of brush and kiawe trees were scorched, according to fire officials.
No word on damages or reported injuries.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Medicare Plan Differences & Deadlines
- Leilehua and UH-Hilo alum Brendan Sagara named co-pitching coach for Texas Rangers
- TheBus confirms one of its operators tested positive for COVID-19
- Consumer Alert: FTC reports consumers lost $117 million to social media scams in first half of 2020
- Light winds, with unsettled weather to prevail this week