Officer’s gun stolen from personal vehicle in Kalihi, triggered school lockdown

Local News

Honolulu police are searching for a gun that was stolen from a police officer’s personal vehicle in Kalihi Wednesday.

A Honolulu Police Department spokeswoman said the car was broken into at around 11:30 a.m.

The incident triggered a lockdown at Dole Middle School. A letter was sent home to parents informing the following:

At 11:46 a.m. Dole Middle School was notified by Honolulu Police Department (HPD) to go into lockdown. A lockdown is when the campus is secured and students and staff members remain indoors and in place.

We remained in lockdown until HPD officers gave the all clear at 1:39 p.m. at which time the lockdown was lifted and students were released back to period 3.

The school is located next door to a police station, and officers were roaming around the campus.

Many parents and grandparents who came to pick up their children said they were scared by the news.

“I mean come on, you’re putting my grandchildren’s lives on hand, okay? I get four,” said grandparent Eileen Saya. “I mean come on, please, the kids gotta be protected. They’re supposed to feel safe here in school. They’re not supposed to be worrying about guns and all this kind of stuff.”

“I’m shocked, scared for my girls,” said parent Annie Umaga.

“I worry about my grandchildren. I have two grandchildren in this school, so I was so worried,” said grandparent Prisco Ferrer.

Another concern parents had was that they were not notified immediately when the lockdown was happening. The principal says the school does not have a system in place to do that.

The letter said, “During the entire lockdown period, your child was situated in a safe and secure location. Counseling services will be made available for students who may need supports (sic) in light of this incident.”

At around the same time, KHON2 spotted officers questioning three children who appeared to be in handcuffs, however police would not confirm whether they were related to the case.

A spokeswoman says the incident remains under investigation and no arrests have been made.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories