HONOLULU (KHON2) — The City and County of Honolulu is opening the next round of Rental and Utility Relief Program Monday. Applications will be accepted starting at 6 p.m. and the city will accept 10,000 applications. Visit the City’s website to apply.
Get Hawaii’s latest news sent to your inbox, click here to subscribe to News 2 You, a daily newsletter.
Households can do the following to get ready to apply:
- Gather needed documents. There is a complete list of required documents in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) at oneoahu.org/renthelp
- Make sure only one person per household applies. Multiple applications from the same household will be disallowed and delay processing applications for other households in need
- Those who have already applied in the first two rounds should not apply again
- Don’t apply for mortgage help. The program cannot pay for delinquent mortgages due to federal guidelines
People should expect that:
- Being accepted into the program does not mean immediate payment to a landlord or utility. The City’s community partners must verify if an applicant qualifies, including confirming income limits and validating documents
- Each landlord will have to submit a signed W-9 tax document. Landlords who delay submitting a W-9 will delay the payment process
Applicants earning 50% of Oʻahu’s annual median income or lower will be prioritized due to federal guidelines. Households must demonstrate financial harm from the pandemic and have at least one member at risk of losing housing, to qualify. A household can also qualify if at least one member has been unemployed for 90 days at the time of application.
For households that qualify, the program will pay:
- Up to $2,500 a month for unpaid rent and electric, sewer and water, or gas bills
- Up to $2,000 a month for current or future rent payments
- Up to $500 a month for current or future electric, water and sewer, and gas bills
- Bills going back to March 13, 2020, current bills, or three months of future bills
- Total payments can be as many as 12 months
Payments are made directly to a landlord or utility.
The next round will open on Monday, July 12, 2021.