HONOLULU (KHON2) — An Oahu family has filed suit against the City and County of Honolulu and the Honolulu Police Department.
[Hawaii news on the go–LISTEN to KHON 2GO weekday mornings at 7:30 a.m.]
An abuse of power complaint filed by Jennifer and Jorge Rivera claims that their son, J.R., was bullied by an HPD officer’s son. The 15-year-old J.R. claims the bullying went on for several months, with the officer’s son forcing J.R. to fight back in November 2018.
That incident was followed, the next day, by the HPD officer arresting J.R. at school without, the complaint claims, reading him his rights or notifying his parents. The Rivera’s say that has had devastating effects on their family.
- Armed Forces Day: Walt Disney World honors cast member who served in WWII with flag-raising ceremony
- Hawaii’s PPE increases thanks to $10 million of federal CARES Act funds
- This is the biggest contagion spot for COVID-19 in airports
- Hawaii reports 105 Coronavirus cases, 1 new death
- UHERO: Economic conditions in Hawaii improve as COVID-19 vaccine rates rise