The University of Hawaii is rolling out the red carpet for one of their own.
UH announced Friday that Nick Rolovich will be the 23rd head football coach of the Rainbow Warriors, replacing Norm Chow.
A former star quarterback for Hawaii from 2000-2001, Rolovich was also an assistant and offensive coordinator for the Manoa program from 2008-2011.
Since he wasn’t retained when Chow took over, Rolovich became offensive coordinator at the University of Nevada, where he led the Wolfpack to two bowl games and an offense that averaged a fifth ranking in the Mountain West Conference during his tenure. He had a high of 2nd in the league during his inaugural season in 2012.
During his time as offensive coordinator at UH in 2010, Hawaii led the nation in passing and finished sixth in total offense, a year in which the Rainbow Warriors had a share of the Western Athletic Conference title.
The 36-year-old becomes the fifth youngest coach in the FBS subdivision.
On news that he got the job, Rolovich said:
“Being raised a Warrior, there is a great sense of excitement and responsibility about bringing back a winning tradition to Hawai’i football. I can’t wait to get started. I’m honored to be selected to run this program which has made me into the man I am today.”
Rolovich and his Nevada team play at San Diego State Saturday. After the game, he’ll fly to Honolulu and be introduces at a press conference on Monday.
KHON2 found out earlier in the day that University of Hawaii athletics director David Matlin interviewed five applicants for the job. Sources also confirmed Matlin received over 60 applications.
Besides Rolovich, all of the candidates were former UH players that later coached in the Manoa program:
- June Jones, the most immediately recognizable name as a finalist, who was the program’s head coach from 2001-2007. He ended a seven-year tenure at SMU last season.
- Rich Miano coached on Jones’ staff and continued under Greg McMackin to 2011, and is the color analyst for OC16’s cable casts of UH football games.
- Brian Norwood is co-defensive coordinator and associate head coach at Tulsa.
- Rich Ellerson was head coach at Army from 2009-2013.
Profile on Nick Rolovich:Coaching Experience
- 2012-2015: Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks, Nevada
- 2010-11: Offensive coordinator, Hawaii
- 2008-09: Quarterbacks, Hawaii
- 2006-07: Quarterbacks, City College of San Francisco
- 2003-04: Student Assistant, Hawaii
- 2002: Assistant Coach, San Marin (Calif.) High School
- City College of San Francisco: Quarterback (1998-99)
- Hawai’i: Quarterback (2000-01)
- Rhein Fire (NFL Europe): Quarterback (2002-03)
- San Jose SaberCats (Arena): Quarterback (2004-05)
- Arizona Rattlers (AFL): Quarterback (2006)
- Chicago Rush (AFL): Quarterback (2006)
- Las Vegas Gladiators (AFL): Quarterback (2007)