HONOLULU (KHON2) — The U.S. Coast Guard (USCG), Japan Cost Guard and Kauai Fire and Police departments are searching for a 47-year-old Nelson Kupenes of Waimea who went missing while freediving off Kauai’s Glass Beach.
Sector Honolulu watchstanders received a Kauai police report at 11:11 a.m. Monday that stated the freediver did not return to his car, which was found parked in the parking lot at Glass Beach.
The 47-year-old freediver was last seen wearing a black wetsuit and was using a clear milk jug as a dive float near Glass Beach, according to USCG officials.
Anyone with information about the whereabouts of the freediver is asked to call Coast Guard Sector Honolulu command center at (808)-842-2600.
A Japan Coast Guard Vessel that is currently in Honolulu for search and rescue exercises joined the search. Below is a list of units that are searching for the freediver on Tuesday, June 22:
- An Air Station Barbers Point HC-130 Hercules airplane aircrew
- An MH-65 Dolphin helicopter aircrew
- Coast Guard Station Kauai 45-foot Response Boat-Medium crew
- The crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Joseph Gerczak (WPC 1126)
- The crew of the Japan Coast Guard vessel Kojima (The 3rd PL21)
- Kauai Police Department
- Kauai Fire Department Air One helicopter aircrew