HONOLULU (KHON2) — A Mahalo Rally was held on February 29 at Ala Moana Beach Park.
Various organizations gathered to celebrate the move of a controversial playground from Ala Moana to Kakaako.
Many in the community voiced their opposition to the original proposal and are thankful lawmakers listened.
“That shows us that it is important to speak up when you feel something is important. And it also means the community came together, and we were encouraged by their support,” said Audrey Lee of Malama Moana.
The City Council recently voted on a master plan for Ala Moana Beach Park. Besides the playground being moved, a proposed dog park was also taken out of the plan.
- Showers ramping up through 4th of July, drier conditions return Sunday
- State epidemiologist says COVID-19 battle is still not over
- Ocean Safety: Kite surfer, swimmers in distress, toddler on floaty blown out to ocean
- Hawaii incoming visitor count highest since quarantine began
- The New Normal: Vet clinics adjust operations amid the pandemic