HONOLULU (KHON2) — Despite attempts to save a recently-weaned monk seal pup, NOAA officials say the young female died due to severe injuries sustained in the wild.
Officials say, the pup known as RL 76 was spotted in July on Molokai with swelling around her head and face, and she was breathing abnormally and staying close to shore.
She was brought to the Marine Mammal Center in Kona for treatment but died a week later.
Tests show she died from trauma likely from an aggressive male monk seal.
Officials do not suspect human involvement in this incident.
- Social Scene: Cheating Scandal Rocks MLB
- PHOTOS: Olympic rings arrive in host city on barge into Tokyo Bay
- Aerial footage of an erupting Philippine volcano
- Passing morning showers, with drier conditions expected into the weekend
- ‘Bad Luck Chuck’ isn’t taking any chances for Chiefs’ upcoming AFC Championship game