HONOLULU (KHON2) — The first large telescope on Maunakea is 50 years old.
The UH88 was the largest telescope on Maunakea when it was dedicated back in 1970, and in 2020 it is now the smallest telescope on Maunakea.
This is the only telescope on Maunakea that has University of Hawaii astronomers determining how the telescope is used. Therefore, lots of UH students get to use the observatory.
A renovation will make the telescope completely robotic.
THE LATEST ON KHON2
- Hawaii delegation meets with National Guard stationed in Washington D.C.
- Savvy Shopper – Popular Picks for Jewelry at The Diamond Fairy
- Waikiki beaches to undergo improvement project, expect closures
- Hawaiian Airlines expanding Pre-Clear Program for Hawaii-bound travelers
- Live skunk caught at Honolulu Harbor