HONOLULU (KHON2) — A 29-year-old Maui woman completed a 15-day hike to raise awareness about ocean plastic pollution.
Hawaii news on the go–LISTEN to KHON 2GO weekday mornings at 8 a.m.
Marine Biologist Britt Daniels hiked 180 miles from Mala to Lahaina. Her 50 supporters joined her during her last 1.3 miles to Lahaina. They held up signs with statements like “Say No to Plastic” and “Protect Our Oceans” to support the cause and help inspire change.
Environmental nonprofit Love the Sea accompanied Daniels in their collaboration around the island. Along the way, they collected 3,360 pounds of plastic debris from the land and shoreline.
Daniels’ hike was a fundraiser for Love the Sea’s Hard to Reach beach cleanups.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Interactive border-wall mural offers glimpse into lives of deported migrants
- Gov. David Ige, state health director to discuss recent surge in COVID-19 infections
- Michigan’s Alex Rose falls short in discus prelims
- Olympic champ Sunisa Lee still focused on college, not fame
- Catch-up numbers: Hawaii reports 622 Coronavirus cases, 3 new deaths