Maui hiker airlifted after getting multiple bee stings

Local News

Maui firefighters responded to a call from Ukumehame Valley Monday afternoon for a hiker having an allergic reaction to bee stings.

A crew from Lahaina reached the 72-year-old male hiker at around 5:30 p.m., about a mile into the valley. The man was already being treated by a paramedic for severe allergic reactions to multiple bee stings. The hiker was unable to walk out on his own so the fire department’s Air 1 helicopter was brought in to airlift the victim to a landing zone on Ehehene St.

Paramedics transported the man to Maui Memorial Medical Center in stable condition.

The victim was hiking the area with another man when they encountered the bees, and the victim did not have his Epi-pen with him. The victim’s hometown was unavailable.

A Lahaina ladder company and Kahului rescue crew responded to the incident.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.