WAILUKU, Hawaii (KHON2) — Maui County is warning the public to not accept friend requests from a user that is posing as Mayor Michael Victorino on Instagram.
[Hawaii news on the go–LISTEN to KHON 2GO weekday mornings at 7:30 a.m.]
Officials gave the warning on Dec. 4 after the username “mayorvictorino48” reportedly sent out multiple friend requests on the social media app.
The Maui Police Department (MPD) says the person is attempting to scam Instagram users through a $300,000 government loan that does not need to be paid back. The scammer is also sending messages asking for personal information, police say.
MPD is advising anyone who receives messages from this person not to respond and to report it to police.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Strong winds forecast for the islands through early next week
- Flu cases down amid COVID-19, doctors warn it could come back worse next year
- Ala Wai flood project more expensive than expected
- Hawaii women’s basketball wins conference home opener over Cal State Fullerton
- Police close Kaukonahua Road following critical traffic accident