HONOLULU (KHON2) — Like many other businesses during the pandemic, farmers and nurseries have been struggling. Now with the holidays rapidly approaching, plant nursery owner, Glenn Miyashita, is hoping to bank some green.
Miyashita is the owner of Glenn’s Nursery in Waimanalo. The plant nursery is home to thousands of poinsettia plants, which bloom right on time for holiday sales.
“I consider poinsettias the hardest seasonal crop to grow,” said Miyashita.
And while the vibrant red flora signals a fast-approaching winter season, Miyashita says he and his team have been working on growing the crop since July when it was imported from California.
“We water it once a day or twice a day depending on the fertilizer in our water system,” explained Miyashita. “I have customers that come back and they show me the plant and tell me they take care of it.”
He says his plants should start appearing soon in grocery and big box stores and of course his nursery in Waimamanlo.
For more information, visit his website.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- No tsunami threat after 6.6 magnitude earthquake in Argentina
- Queen’s Health Systems offers vaccines for seniors 75 and older Monday, Jan. 25
- National Wreaths Across America Day announces 2021 theme “Live up to their Legacy”
- ‘Tired of being divided’: Garth Brooks to sing at Biden inaugural
- Super Bowl Experience construction ramps up along Tampa Riverwalk