HONOLULU (KHON2) — Honolulu City Council Chair Ikaika Anderson officially resigned from his position on Wednesday, Sept. 23.
“This really isn’t aloha,” said Anderson. “It’s a hui hou, until we meet again.”
Anderson announced earlier this month that he was stepping down in order to take care of his aging grandparents, who he says raised him.
“Mahalo to my grandparents, Whitney and Hanny Anderson, for raising me,” he said. “When I came into the world in their 40s, they certainly, I’m sure, weren’t expecting to be raising another child at that age.”
Alan Texeira was named to fill Anderson’s District 3 council seat until the election. Ann Kobayashi was named council chair and Tommy Waters as vice chair.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Kahuku’s Punahele Soriano improves to 8-0 with first-round TKO on Fight Island
- Man in serious condition after a gunshot wound in Honolulu
- High surf warning in effect until 6 a.m. Sunday, surf will be 40 to 50 feet along north facing shores
- $1,400 stimulus checks: Here’s where we stand halfway through January
- Heavy rain possible for the islands starting late Sunday