HONOLULU (KHON2) — An officer involved shooting at Hookipa Apartments on the Windward side of Oahu left one man dead, Honolulu Police Chief Susan Ballard confirms.

Download the free KHON2 app for iOS or Android to stay informed on the latest news

The incident happened at 11:30 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 28.

In a news conference held Monday evening, Ballard detailed the series of events that led up to the situation. According to HPD, two officers in marked vests, approached a residence on Ahuimanu Road to serve a warrant to a 45-year-old man wanted in connection with a kidnapping case, who also had a warrant for his arrest.

Ballard said the officers verbally identified themselves, and a foot chase ensued soon after. The man then entered a vehicle of which he refused to exit when ordered to by officers on scene.

“The suspect turned on the vehicle, revved the engine and quickly reversed the car, forcing the officers to jump out of the way.” said Ballard. “The suspect then accelerated toward the officers at a high rate of speed, leaving skid marks in the parking lot. Fearing for their lives, the officers discharged their firearm.”

About four to six shots were fired.

Ballard said the incident escalated quickly.

“It was very quick, so they had to make decisions very fast … This whole thing including a foot pursuit, and everything else was less than two minutes, so you just gotta keep that in mind.”

Chief Susan Ballard, Honolulu Police Department

Ballard said the vehicle hit two parked cars, which were pushed onto the grass, before reversing and stopping. Officers then reportedly broke into the vehicle, pulled the suspect out and proceeded to administer CPR.

The man was taken to the hospital in critical condition where he died.

Police have not named the suspect, but say he had 48 prior convictions, with 12 felony convictions related to kidnapping, drugs and various firearms offenses.

The suspect’s son spoke to KHON2 after the incident.

“Too much to talk about right now honestly… (I’m) just trying to come to terms with what’s going on and just move forward,” said Andrew Gentzler.

As for the officers involved, Chief Susan Ballard says one sustained a minor hand injury. The officers, who have eight years and 20 years on the force, were a part of the District 4 Crime Reduction unit. Both will be placed on administrative leave for three days, which is standard procedure. Chief Susan Ballard’s full press conference can be viewed below.

Latest Stories on KHON2