HILO, Hawaii (KHON2) — The first annual Heroes and Helpers event was held on Saturday, Dec. 5. The gift distribution event was a community collaborative coordinated by Catholic Charities Hawaii (CCH) and Hilo Target with aims to foster positive relationship between Hawaii’s youth and local officers.
[Hawaii news on the go–LISTEN to KHON 2GO weekday mornings at 7:30 a.m.]
The event ran from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m.
Event organizers say this year’s gift distribution brought some much needed holiday joy to Ka’u District’s young children and teens.
A total of 63 young shoppers filled out a wish list with a $100 limit, which would then go to their Catholic Charities Hawaii “elves.” With funds donated from numerous organizations, the elves would then turn wishes into reality.
Thirty Hawaii Police Department officers and 20 Hawaii Air National Guard volunteers helped to facilitate and distribute the desired gifts at a contactless drive-through event.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- ‘Bows Football Final — Calvin Turner bonus episode
- Monarch butterfly population moves closer to extinction
- Tropical moisture to drift over the islands, potential heavy showers
- Despite IRS warning, stimulus checks and debit cards cause confusion
- Hawaii Nature Center celebrates 40th anniversary with keiki expedition