HONOLULU (KHON2) — A Hawaiian Airlines flight had to make an emergency landing after one of its engines malfunctioned approximately 20 minutes into the flight.
[Hawaii news on the go–LISTEN to KHON 2GO weekday mornings at 7:30 a.m.]
Hawaiian Airlines Flight 216 departed Honolulu at 9:44 a.m. with nonstop service to Kahului.
The engine malfunctioned approximately 20 minutes into the flight, which prompted the captain and crew on board to return the aircraft to Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL). The flight safely landed at HNL without incident at 10:26 a.m., according to a Hawaiian Airlines spokesperson.
Hawaiian Airlines says passengers on board were transferred to a different aircraft where they were able able to depart for Kahului at 11:18 a.m.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Heavy rain possible through late Wednesday, flash flood watch issued for all islands
- Maui stores prepare to cut down on customers as new Maui rules start Tuesday
- Aloha Home Market donates proceeds to charity
- A year after tragic Diamond Head shooting, families of fallen officers Enriquez and Kalama still mourn
- Study shows nurses in Hawaii get paid the most in the country compared to other nurses