HONOLULU (KHON2) — Hawaiʻi Island Police have arrested and charged a 51-year-old Hilo man for property crime offenses stemming from a theft at a local candy shop in Hilo.
Police allege that Daniel Yadao Cayme reached into a mail slot and removed a welcome mat from the establishment. The action was caught on video surveillance from the business, and police were able to identify Cayme as the suspect.
The next day, Sept. 17, police were investigating an incident at one of the county parks and identified Cayme who had an outstanding warrant for his arrest. During the arrest, Cayme pointed to several items in his possession, one of which was the stolen “welcome mat.”
Police were able to identify the “welcome mat” as the one taken from the business and identified Cayme from the video allegedly taking the mat.
Cayme was charged with burglary, theft, and habitual property crime and was being held in lieu of $20,000.00 bail, pending a court appearance.
- KHON2 Halftime News Report: carjacking suspect arrested, car crash victim identified, and the weather forecast.
- The American Marketing Association helps Hawaii grow
- Bite Squad to Deliver Free Thanksgiving Meals to Local Families in Need
- Water main break closes one Ewa-bound lane of Ala Moana Blvd
- Morning fire damages part of the Volcano Golf and Country Club