HAWI, Hawaii (KHON2) — Firefighters on Hawaii Island contained a brush fire that broke out along Akoni Pule Highway near the 13-mile marker on Friday afternoon, Sept. 25.
The island’s fire department reported that when they first arrived on the scene, the fire was burning on both sides of the highway. Thirty HFD and volunteer personnel used engines and tankers, two helicopters and a bulldozer to cut a fire break. The fire was later brought under control around 5 p.m. after 40 acres of land was scorched.
The blaze also prompted the police to close Akoni Pule Highway in both directions between the seven and 17-mile markers. Authorities lifted the closure several hours later.
The cause of the fire is unknown. Firefighters remained on the scene overnight to monitor the situation.
No injuries have been reported for this incident.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Kiss says farewell to live touring, set to be first US band to go virtual with digital avatars
- Here’s why Michigan orchards are leaving apples on trees
- DeSantis seeks to regain lost ground in high-stakes Alabama debate
- Trump defense points to bankers as proof business dealings had ‘no victim’
- Crash in Maili leaves two children and two adults in serious condition