HONOLULU (KHON2) — Pasta. It now transcends nation and cultural borders. From Asia to the Americas, pasta is one of the most popular and versatile ways to enjoy a meal.
While the concept of noodles was invented in China around 3,200 years ago. It was first mentioned in Chinese.
Get Hawaii’s latest morning news delivered to your inbox, sign up for News 2 You
Author Jen Lin-Liu is a renowned expert on the history of pasta noodles and their political significance to trade in the ancient world. She believes that pasta was developed in China with the Middle East developing it within a couple a hundred years of that.
While lots of folks have believed that Marco Polo brought noodles back to Europe, the fact is that pasta was already a part of life in Europe and the Middle East long before Polo went on his exploits.
But pasta and noodles are different. Pasta is what the Romans developed while noodles are what the Chinese developed. Since the creation of the state of Italy in 1861, pasta is most commonly associated with Italian cuisine.
Tuesday, Oct. 17 is National Pasta Day. It’s a time to indulge and celebrate the incredible diversity and deliciousness of this simple, unleavened wheat product.
So, where can you find the best pasta dishes in Hawaiʻi? Let’s take a look at how residents of Hawaiʻi rank the various pasta merchants.
Yelp! offers customer ranked reviews of Honolulu’s favorite pasta places.
- La Ciccia Italian Fusion is located on South King Street.
- Adela’s Country Eatery is located on Kamehameha Highway in Kaneʻohe.
- La Cucina Ristorante Italiano is located on Kapiʻolani Boulevard.
- Repetti’s Pizza and Provisions is located on Keāhole Street.
- Aroma Italia is located on Monsarrat Avenue.
- Amina Pizzeria is located on Kalākaua Avenue.
- J P Spaghetti is located on California Avenue in Wahiawā.
- Arancino di Mare is located on Kalākaua Avenue.
- Rigo is located on Kapahulu Avenue.
- Brick Fire Tavern is located on Waiʻalae Avenue.
On Hawaiʻi Island
Yelp! offers customer ranked reviews of Hilo’s favorite pasta places.
- Cafe Pesto Hilo Bay is located on Kamehameha Avenue.
- Pineapple’s Island Fresh Cuisine is located on Keawe Street.
- Moon & Turtle is located on Kalākaua Street.
- Papajacs is located on Kamehameha Avenue.
- Antics Pizza is located on Kinoʻole Street.
- Aloha Mondays is located on Kilauea Street.
- Coconut Grill is located on Banyan Way.
- Jackie Rey’s Ohana Grill is located on Keawe Street.
- WSW Steakhouse is located on Banyan Drive.
- Hula Hulas is located on Banyan Drive.
Yelp! offers customer ranked reviews of Kailua-Kona’s favorite pasta places.
- Kona Pasta is located on Wālua Road.
- Huggo’s is located on Kahakai Road.
- Bianelli’s is located on Aliʻi Drive.
- Foster’s Kitchen is located on Aliʻi Drive.
- The Fish Hopper Seafood & Steaks is located on Aliʻi Drive.
- La Bourgogne is located on Nālani Street.
- Ohana Q is located on Kuakini Highway.
- Residents Beach House is located on Kaʻūpūlehu Drive.
- On the Rocks is located on Kahakai Road.
Yelp! offers customer ranked reviews of Maui’s favorite pasta places.
- Matteo’s Osteria is located on Wailea Ike Place in Wailea.
- Kula Bistro is located on Lower Kula Road in Kula.
- Fabiani’s is located on Līpoa Street in Kīhei.
- Giannnotto’s Pizzaria is located on Main Street in Wailuku.
- Paia Fish Market is located on Hāna Highway in Pāʻia.
- Taverna is located on Village Road in Kapalua.
- Ekolu Kitchen 1279 is located on South Kīhei Road in Kīhei.
- Tanpopo is located on South Kīhei Road in Kīhei.
- Marco’s Grill & Deli is located on Hāna Highway in Kahului.
Yelp! offers customer ranked reviews of Kauaʻi’s favorite pasta places.
- La Spezia Restaurant and Wine Bar is located on Kōloa Road in Kōloa.
- Kauaʻi Pasta is located on Kūhiō Highway in Līhuʻe.
- Bobby V’s Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria is located on Kuhio Highway in Kāpaʻa.
- Cafe Portofino is located on Hoolaulea Way in Līhuʻe.
- Zorbas is located on Kūhiō Highway in Kāpaʻa.
Get news on the go with KHON 2GO, KHON’s morning podcast, every morning at 8
As you celebrate National Pasta Day, remember the long history that has taken place in order for you to enjoy that ono bowl of noodles.