The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation says it needs to pay nearly $12 million more for rail.
The money would go to Kiewit, the contractor building the project’s first segment, in order for work to proceed.
Officials presented the large change order to its board of directors Thursday.
HART blames delays from a court challenge and says market costs escalated.
But any approval was deferred because members say they need more information before granting the money.
“If we don’t understand what we’re overseeing in terms of a contract provision results with the change order, how can we explain it to anyone who comes upon us and says, ‘Hey, how come you gave those guys that much money?'” said board member Colleen Hanabusa.
The additional $12 million is on top of a $15 million change order previously paid to Kiewit.
HART says that money has already been used up.