HONOLULU (KHON2) — Four endangered Hawaiian monk seals are now safe thanks to the U.S. Coast Guard.
[Hawaii news on the go–LISTEN to KHON 2GO weekday mornings at 7:30 a.m.]
They flew aboard a Coast Guard HC-130 aircraft, and they were taken to Midway Atoll.
The four female pups were at the marine mammal center’s Ke Kai Ola hospital in Kona for nearly a year.
They were rescued because they were undersized and unlikely to survive on their own.
Over the past 13 years the Coast Guard, NOAA and the Marine Mammal Center have partnered to transport more than 50 Hawaiian monk seals to Midway.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Tampa mayor wants to fill Super Bowl seats with vaccinated health care workers
- Waianae’s Max Holloway makes weight ahead of Fight Island bout against Calvin Kattar
- Heavy rain could return to the islands starting late Sunday
- Officials investigating human skeletal remains found on Maui
- Call to artists for ‘PA’I Arts at Kou’