LIHUE, Hawaii (KHON2) — Kuhio Highway was forced to close in the vicinity of the Hanalei Bridge on Nov. 25 due to heavy rain and flooding on Kauai. Flash flooding also occurred in the areas of Princeville, Kilauea, Hanalei, Anahola and Wailua River State Park.
Motorists are advised that the highway could remain closed for an extended period of time due to a significant amount of water that remains on the road.
The American Red Cross has opened a shelter at Hanalei Elementary School. Those who are seeking shelter are asked to wear a face covering and observe social distancing protocol.
For updates on road conditions and closures, call 808-241-1725. Click here for National Weather Service updates.
UPDATE: One lane of alternating traffic is now open on Kuhio Highway and motorists can now cross Hanalei Bridge. The American Red Cross shelter is has been closed.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Flash flood watch in place for all islands through Tuesday
- East Honolulu residents call Monday flood similar to 2018
- Maui woman dies after car swerves off cliff on Kahekili Highway
- CVS completes first round of COVID-19 vaccines at Hawaii’s long-term care facilities
- Gov. Ige pushes for more investment in digital technology