A fire destroyed two homes in Kihei Wednesday, and officials believe the blaze was caused by fireworks.

Maui firefighters responded to a fast-moving brush fire at 3:59 p.m. behind homes on Kawailani Circle.

In addition to the two homes that were destroyed, four homes were also damaged.

Officials say a witness heard children playing with fireworks behind the homes before the fire began. Fireworks remnants were found in the area.

“We’d just like to remind the public of the dangers of the use of fireworks. We don’t endorse the use of fireworks. We want to make sure people use it safely, especially under the supervision of a responsible adult,” said Val Martin, assistant chief, support services, Maui Fire Department.

Total damage is estimated to be over $1 million.

One firefighter was hurt and taken to the hospital.

Residents of the homes are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

A shelter at the Kihei Communty Center has been set up by the Maui Emergency Management Agency.