HONOLULU (KHON2) — The Honolulu Fire Department responded to a fire in the University area on Sunday, May 1.

It happened just before 11 a.m. on Varsity Circle near Lower Campus Road.

Download the free KHON2 app for iOS or Android to stay informed on the latest news

Fire officials said when they arrived, smoke and flames were coming from the second story of a two-story residential building.

Fire crews said the building started to collapse by 11:10 a.m.

By the end of the day, fire investigators said they concluded the fire was accidental. What sparked the blaze was an electrical arc at an outlet located in the bedroom on the second floor.

Damage was estimated by HFD to be $580,000 to the property and $40,000 to the contents.

Smoke alarms were present but HFD said the fire was discovered prior to the activation of the alarms.

The Honolulu Emergency Medical Services team said they treated two people for smoke inhalation from a neighboring home. A 57-year-old woman was taken to an emergency room in serious condition. The 59-year-old man did not want to be taken to the hospital.

The American Red Cross was contacted to assist a total of four families.

What’s going on around the globe. Find out in International News

Later in the day at around 9:40 p.m., the fire did rekindle and prompted the return of fire crews. However, they were able to quickly have the incident under control. The fire was declared extinguished at 10 p.m.