Fire causes $50,000 in damage to Kauai restaurant

Local News

A Kauai restaurant is cleaning up after a fire broke out in the kitchen Thursday night.

It happened at around 8:40 p.m. at Mediterranean Gourmet in Haena.

Approximately 80 restaurant staff and guests were evacuated when the fire broke out.

When firefighters arrived, the fire was already under control due to the swift actions of the restaurant staff who used hand-held fire extinguishers and garden hoses to suppress the fire.

No one was injured and no other structures were threatened by the fire.

Firefighters exposed a portion of the roof, removed the damaged mechanical roof mounted vent and extinguished the remaining areas that were burning in the crawl space above the grill.

In addition, crews utilized the vent fan to ventilate the main seating area of the restaurant.

The fire was deemed fully extinguished at approximately 9:45 p.m.

It caused about $50,000 in damages to the kitchen, exhaust system and roof.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories