FEMA going door-to-door to assist flood survivors

Local News

Representatives from FEMA’s Disaster Survivor Assistance teams will be going door-to-door to register homeowners and renters of the City and County of Honolulu and Kauai County who were uninsured or underinsured and suffered damage from the April severe storms, flooding, landslides and mudslides.

Team members can help direct survivors to potential sources of assistance and help them register for disaster aid with FEMA. The specialists’ goal is to help ensure that all potentially eligible survivors are made aware of the assistance available to them.

The specialists also help identify ongoing needs and make referrals to other community partners. DSA team members also address requests for disability-related accommodations.

The DSA teams are working together with Kauai and the City and County of Honolulu Emergency Management Agency and local officials. DSA team members wear FEMA attire and carry FEMA photo IDs. If the photo ID is not displayed, survivors are encouraged to ask to see it.

These recovery specialists may request the following information: 

  • Social Security number
  • Address of the damaged property
  • Description of the damage
  • Information about insurance coverage
  • A current contact telephone number
  • An address where you can receive mail
  • Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit of funds

Residents do not have to wait until they meet with a DSA team member to register with FEMA or request disability-related accommodation assistance. They may visit the state/federal Disaster Recovery Center in Kauai and Oahu counties.

Survivors may also register online at DisasterAssistance.gov or by phone at 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7583. Applicants who use 711 or Video Relay service may call 800-621-3362. The toll-free numbers are open from 7 a.m. To 10 p.m. Seven days a week.

Disaster assistance can include FEMA grants for temporary housing, home repairs and replacement, as well as low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration. These loans are available to businesses, private nonprofits, homeowners and renters to cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories