HONOLULU (KHON2) — This event provided a day of fun to bring light to a very serious subject — domestic violence.
The Reef Aikau Ho’oikaika Ohana Beach Day was held at the magic Island on Sunday, February 23. Families could enjoy live music and activities for both kids and adults.
The event is named in honor of 7-year old Reef Aikau, who was killed by his father who then killed himself in 2017. Reef’s mother helped to organize Sunday’s gathering.
“Unfortunately, I didn’t recognize, in the relationship. The violence was a very, very small part. And actually, at the end there was no violence. But domestic abuse and domestic violence, domestic abuse, it’s not just about violence. It can be about yelling at you. It can be financial control,” said Reef’s mother, Katherin Aikau.
Aikau says she wanted Sunday’s event to bring awareness for people who may be in an abusive relationship and to let them know that help is out there.
- Kauai reports two new cases of COVID-19 on Dec. 1
- Giving Tuesday: Empowering the next generation of young professionals
- Warning level surf expected from first large northwest swell of the year
- Police on scene following armed robbery at Waipahu barbershop
- Hawaii football’s originally scheduled road game against San Jose State to be played at Aloha Stadium on Saturday