KAHULUI, Hawaii (KHON2) — A crash in Kahului Sunday night has claimed the life of a 28-year-old. Police said that a Toyota 4-Runner was traveling southeast on Kahului Beach Road when it collided with a pedestrian who was illegally crossing the road outside of a marked crosswalk. It occurred near the Harbor Lights Condominium.
Nelsin Naich, the pedestrian, was pronounced dead at the scene. The 39-year-old male driver of the Toyota and his two passengers, ages 39 and 5 were not injured.
Police said speed does not appear to be a factor. Drugs and alcohol have not yet been determined.
This is Maui County’s 6th fatality this year, as compared to 12 at this time last year.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Breezy trades on tap for the islands this weekend
- Employee from Managing Director’s Office in isolation after testing positive for coronavirus
- Queen’s Medical Center building infectious disease unit
- Supreme Court holds hearing to discuss releasing OCCC inmates as COVID-19 cluster continues to grow
- Whistleblower says DOH lying about number of contact tracers