KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii (KHON2) — Big Island firefighters responded to a structure fire on Pawai Place shortly after 6 a.m. on Saturday, Jan. 2. The blaze was extinguished by 7 a.m. and no injuries have been reported.
[Hawaii news on the go–LISTEN to KHON 2GO weekday mornings at 7:30 a.m.]
Upon arrival, crews witnessed heavy smoke and flames emanating from the southeast corner of Laundry Two, a 4000-square-foot commercial laundry business located at 74-5596 Pawai Pl.
No one was inside the metal structure, according to fire officials.
Firefighters entered the building through the front roll-up door and brought the fire under control by 6:35 a.m. before completely extinguishing it at 6:45 a.m.
The cause of the fire has not been released and damage estimates are still being determined, according to the Hawaii County Fire Department.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Kahuku’s Punahele Soriano improves to 8-0 with first-round TKO on Fight Island
- Man in serious condition after a gunshot wound in Honolulu
- High surf warning in effect until 6 a.m. Sunday, surf will be 40 to 50 feet along north facing shores
- $1,400 stimulus checks: Here’s where we stand halfway through January
- Heavy rain possible for the islands starting late Sunday