After days of searching, missing man’s body found on Molokai

Local News

After days of searching, authorities confirm the body of Stephen Kramar has been found.

Maui police say on Friday, Sept. 21, at around 9:16 a.m., a volunteer assisting with the search efforts found a lifeless body on the hillside in an area called Pia Gulch, about a half-mile northeast of the Wavecrest Resort.

The body was positively identified by family members as Kramar.

An autopsy will be scheduled to determine the official cause of death.

Kramar was a newlywed. He and his wife, Jeffanie, were in Hawaii for their honeymoon.

The couple jumped on a plane to Hawaii on Sept. 8, the day after their marriage in Virginia.

On Monday, Sept. 17, Stephen Kramar set out on a hike to see if it was safe enough for the two of them. He left the Wavecrest Resort, and never returned.

KHON2 spoke with a volunteer who helped with the search.

“On their way from town to Wavecrest, he was pointing out places, (wife Jeffanie) said, where he wanted to enter, that he requested, oh maybe I should start from here, and several places that he pointed to, so she asked if I could take her to those places and start there, so I did,” said Halley Kariaga.

Jeffanie Kramar spoke to KHON2 before her husband’s body was found.

“I’m just begging for anybody to volunteer and if we can get as many people as we can on the island to help, because are so many locals already helping and so many people willing to guide us, but there’s so much ground and we need more hands and feet to cover every inch to find him,” she said. “The grass is really tall. The mountain is really big, and it’s not easy being with a very knowledgeable and skillful rescue team.”

Jeffanie Kramar says her husband was experienced and never careless.

“He’s an avid hiker. He’s climbed 14,000-foot mountains in cold weather and 60 mph gusting winds with eight other people who have full-blown mountain gear,” she said.

Authorities put out a missing persons bulletin on Wednesday asking for help.

Jeffanie Kramar feared authorities would call off the search before her husband was found.

“There’s a 72-hour rule that I was just informed of by the fire department, and they said unfortunately after 72 hours, they stop the search completely, and obviously, that came as a shock to me. I didn’t know about that rule,” she said. “Our plan was to go home tomorrow, but obviously we’re not leaving until I find him safely.”

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.