Three Oahu residences have been added to the Hawaii Register of Historic Places.
The decision is made by a nine-member review board that includes historians, architects, sociologists, cultural specialists, and archaeologists.
The following residences were entered onto the register:
The Olund residence [pictured above] is historically significant for its architecture and its association with the development of the Dowsett track. As the city of Honolulu grew and transportation facilities allowed for increased access in Nuuanu in the 1920s, the Dowsett track was subdivided. Located at 72 Dowsett Avenue, the Olund property represents the way lots were divided in the 1920s with the ‘auwai providing the rear property line. The main residence, built in 1925, represents the Mission Revival style with terra cotta roof, distinctive chimney, thick stucco walls, ornamental ironwork, arched openings, and covered porches.
The Harold B. and Julia Giffard residence located at 62 Puiwa Road was built in 1913. It qualifies for the register as an example the Queen Anne Revival style, with its asymmetrical massing (refers to the general shape and size of a building) and plan, advancing and receding elements, shingles, and front-facing gable roofs. In 1936, the interior was remodeled in an art deco fashion. Art deco features include the reoriented front entrance with canted door frame, recessed lights with frosted glass covers, interior rounded display shelves, mirror wall around the fireplaces, and use of Masonite.
The Roy and Virginia Collier residence, located at 3645 Woodlawn Drive, dates to 1963. Its significance derives from its association with the development of the Woodlawn subdivision and its modern architecture style that features clean horizontal lines, low profile roof, overhanging eaves, open interior spaces, and the connection between interior and exterior spaces. Modern architect Harry Seckel bought the subdivided land and custom built homes for each buyer. Collier was a UH professor at the time he purchased his Woodlawn home.All photos were provided by the state Department of Land and Natural Resources.