3-alarm Pacific Heights Fire ruled “accidental”

Local News

UPDATE: The Honolulu Fire Department Investigators have concluded their investigation, and have determined that the fire was accidental.  

HFD determined that the fire was accidentally caused by generator exhaust too close to stored combustibles in the garage. 

Fire damages are estimated at $260,000 to the property and $80,000 to its contents.  

Fire officials say the home had working smoke alarms, but it did not have fire sprinklers.


The Pacific Heights Road fire has firefighters mopping up hot spots, so it is not considered extinguished as of 6 p.m. Monday. 

Two men were home at the time, but made it out safely. There are no injuries reported at this time. 

Earlier, heavy smoke was seen from miles away, raising a lot of people’s attention.

Fire officials say this is a 3-story single family home with a garage on top.

Neighbors say it looked like the fire started in the garage. 

The fire started around 2 p.m. on Monday.

There were about 60 firefighters battling the fire, and they were able to get it under control in about half an hour after they arrived. 

However, a flare up did occur, so firefighters got it under control around 4:15 p.m. 

Residents nearby tell us when the fire started they heard several explosions. 

“There was a collapse and this fire was difficult to get underneath what is collapsed and get to the fire,” said Captain Scot Seguirant, Honolulu Fire Department. 

“It’s kind of a rumble pile down there. Everything is sliding down the terrain so there’s gonna be more assessment and fire fighters are going to be doing that while they’re extinguishing the fire.” said Captain Seguirant. 

A nearby neighbor called 911. 

“I was sitting down inside the house, my wife was outside and I heard a loud explosion and my wife came running, ‘the house behind us is on fire,'” said Jeff Caravalho, a nearby neighbor who called 911. 

“There was an actual paint can that went flying in the air and landed next to my house.” said Caravalho. 

There was a downed power line but Hawaiian Electric Company was at the scene to take care of that. 

A portion of Pacific Heights Road is closed off to traffic so there are many residents waiting at the bottom of the hill for the scene to clear so they can get back home. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories