New AED bill hopes to save lives

Living808

Councilmember Brandon Elefante introduced a bill to enact a building ordinance that would require every new building with an occupant load of 50 or more to have an automated external defibrillator (AED) on every floor, in addition to every City owned building.  

As the chair of the Public Health, Safety & Welfare Committee, Elefante says he saw the importance of having AEDs in the community, and realized that these life-saving devices needed to be readily accessible in our buildings.  

“Currently, less than 10% of the victims of cardiac arrest survive outside a hospital,” he says.  He adds, “we can increase the likelihood of survival to 90% when the victim receives high quality CPR and a shock(s) from an AED when these actions are taken within approximately two minutes of an event.” 

Elefante hopes this Ordinance can help increase survival rates from a cardiac arrest here in Hawaii, and will serve as an inspiration to other jurisdictions to adopt similar measures.  

“Hopefully this Bill will be the model for the state, and I also think that when more of the public realizes their life-saving capabilities, we will see more units deployed voluntarily,” says Elefante.

Website: https://www.aedinstitute.com
 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories