Adventist Health Castle Bariatric surgeon Steven Fowler joined us on the show to talk about weight loss options and how they can help.
First Dr Fowler defined obesity and some of the challenges that come with it.
• Having too much body fat.
• Important to focus on the individual, not the weight or some number.
• We focus on the health of the patient, not specifically the weight.
• Obesity is linked to many health conditions, such as Type 2 Diabetes, hypertension, obstructive sleep apnea, and cancers.
Some of the weight loss options out there:
• Diets, lifestyle programs, and medications.
• We focus on surgical correction of health conditions, such as diabetes.
• We offer the Sleeve, Gastric Bypass, and Duodenal Switch.
And Adventist Health Castle is the only place in the state that offers the Duodenal Switch for treatment of diabetes.
Many wonder though whether insurance carriers will help with costs.
Fowler explained that most insurance companies cover operations and all of them have a proven track record of safety and performance.
Results are the most dramatic intervention available for improved health.
It also allows weight loss of 60-80% and for the patient to get off most medications.
For more information about the weight loss procedures offered by Adventist Health Castle, visit https://AdventistHealthCastle.org.