One out of two adults have diabetes or pre-diabetes in Hawaii, making it one of the state’s leading healthcare issues.
In response to the problem, ‘Ekahi Health System created ‘Ekahi WellCare, a multidisciplinary team-oriented program for diabetes care management.
Their stated goal is to provide patients with solutions that are personalized, easy to understand, and helps them feel in control of their health again.
“We focus on lifestyle improvements including nutrition, stress management, exercise, and behavioral health all under one roof so we are able to concentrate on quickly meeting participant needs and goals,” explains ‘Ekahi WellCare’s Robert Walker.
“We are a group of professionals – nurse practitioners, medical assistants, dieticians, social workers and pharmacists, that will work together with the participants and their physicians to help them manage diabetes.”
Resources available to diabetes patients include:
• Medical consultation with a Board Certified Nurse Practitioner
• Medicine education with a clinical pharmacist
• Nutrition education with a certified diabetes registered dietician educator
• Support classes with a behavioral health specialist
• Exercise classes with an exercise physiologist
• Stress management classes with a certified yoga instructor
• Connection to community resources with a medical social worker
• In-house and quick testing of essential labs such as A1c, microalbumin, (others) and eye and foot exams
For more information on ‘Ekahi WellCare and other ‘Ekahi Health System programs, visit https://ekahihealth.com/.