If you’ve got some old electronics or tech toys you need to dispose of but are not sure what is a safe way to get rid of them, Best Buy can help.
Nathan Shwegman a tech expert from Best Buy stopped by the Living808 studio to let the viewers know the best way to dispose of old electronics.
- Almost any type of old electronics including cell phones, CD players, cords, computers, mp3 players, tablets and more can ALL be recycled.
- Best Buy accepts tube TVs with screens smaller than 32” and flat panel TVs with screens smaller than 50” in-store. Larger TVs and appliances can be picked up via haul-away for a small fee
With regards to recycling:
- Check with your specific recycle location on specifications and limitations on what and how much can be recycled at one time
- Many retailers offer haul-away services for larger appliances needing to be recycled, which MAY sometimes cost a fee.
So many people are afraid of returning items that had personal information on it but Shwegman has options for you as well.
- If the device has memory storage, be sure to wipe your personal data from it. If you need help, visit a local expert to ensure you’ve done this correctly.
- Make sure the device is clean and without broken pieces or it won’t be accepted.
- Take your devices to a reputable recycling outlet, like a local retailer with a recycling program or a county hazardous waste drop-off location, to ensure that your products are handled responsibly
And some retailers have trade in programs.
But what is the difference between trade-ins versus recycling, and what are the benefits?
- Trade-In is a convenient way to redeem retailer gift cards in exchange for old technology
- At many retailers, if you can’t trade-in your product, you can simply recycle it for free.
- Often trade-ins are not available inside retailers but are available online. Check their website for specifics.
Best buy has a couple of great programs that can help any and all with tech gadgets.
To learn more about these programs, you can visit them online at https://www.bestbuy.com or on social media @BestBuy