HONOLULU (KHON2) — As rain covers the island of Kauai, many roads and businesses are closing as conditions affect the island more and more.
A community-run shelter is open at Hale Halawai in Hanalei due to heavy rain and the partial closure of Kuhio Highway.
Here is what closed:
- Kuhio Highway, near Hanalei Bridge, is closed due to flowing, according to the Kauai Police Department.
- Due to lightning in the area, Kekaha Landfill is closed until further notice
- Green waste service is closed at the Lihue Refuse Transfer Station
- Puhi Metals on Puhi Road is closed due to lightning and heavy rain as well
- Hauaala Road near the Keapana Bridge is closed
Other areas being impacted by the weather are:
- Kekaha Road near the post office is flooded
- Boulders reported on a portion of Kokee Road
- Awawa Road in Hanapēpē Valley has reports of debris near bridges
- Ōma‘o Road reports of downed tree
We’re Hawaii’s weather station, get the latest forecast and radar information here
For more information, visit the NWS website. You can also call Kauai Emergency Management Agency at 808-241-1800.
UPDATE: Kuhio Highway is now open.