HONOLULU (KHON2) — The Honolulu Police Department has opened an attempted murder investigation after a shooting near Thomas Square that led to multiple victims sent to the hospital with gunshot wounds.

The incident happened on Victoria Street shortly before 9 p.m. on Thursday night.

Download the free KHON2 app for iOS or Android to stay informed on the latest news

HPD revealed that a 15-year-old boy was shot multiple times by a suspect with a firearm during a fight. Officials said the boy sustained injuries to his lower body and leg and was taken to the hospital in serious condition.

A 49-year-old male witness then attempted to chase after the alleged shooter who fled on foot. The witness then became a victim when he was assaulted by two other male suspects near President William McKinley High School.

Police apprehended the three suspects that night. The 21-year-old alleged shooter was arrested for attempted murder in the second degree and the other two suspects, a 17 and 18-year-old, were arrested for assault in the third degree.

About an hour after the arrest it was determined that private vehicles had taken a 17 and 20-year-old male to the hospital with gunshot wounds said police.

All three victims who were shot remain hospitalized in serious condition. The male who was assaulted was a 49-year-old and has been released from the hospital after being treated for minor injuries.

It was later discovered by HPD that a stray round from the shooting struck a passing vehicle. Fortunately, no occupants were injured.

Witnesses told KHON2 the incident occurred after a Youth Challenge Academy Graduation at the Blaisdell Center. As people were leaving the graduation they were confused if they heard fireworks or gunshots.

S King Street was closed from Ward Avenue to Pensacola Street as police investigate. There was also a road closure of all southbound lanes of Pensacola Street at S King Street.

Check out more news from around Hawaii

Honolulu police said they are continuing to investigate as they have all three suspects in custody with charges pending.