HONOLULU (KHON2) – Shipping company Young Brothers is asking for a temporary rate increase.
The company made an emergency request to the Public Utilities Commission. It asked for an increase for the rest of 2020 in order to sustain its inter-island cargo transport services.
This is in addition to its recent request to reduce its sailing schedule to Hilo and Maui. The company faces a projected $25 million loss.
Young Brothers had also previously requested $25 million in CARES Act funding from the State Legislature. It has not yet been granted.
An incident that caused 21 of Young Brothers shipping containers to go overboard in Hilo Harbor in June is still under investigation.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- New laws aim to protect animals from abuse, neglect
- ‘Can we have two golds?’: Why two high jumpers opted to share Olympic medal in heartwarming video
- Sumo scare? Riders say horses might be spooked by statue
- Aug. 3: New school year begins, DOH anticipates COVID cases, but says getting kids back to learning is important
- Olympic families find solace, create bonds far from Tokyo