HONOLULU (KHON2) – Shipping company Young Brothers is asking for a temporary rate increase.
The company made an emergency request to the Public Utilities Commission. It asked for an increase for the rest of 2020 in order to sustain its inter-island cargo transport services.
This is in addition to its recent request to reduce its sailing schedule to Hilo and Maui. The company faces a projected $25 million loss.
Young Brothers had also previously requested $25 million in CARES Act funding from the State Legislature. It has not yet been granted.
An incident that caused 21 of Young Brothers shipping containers to go overboard in Hilo Harbor in June is still under investigation.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Employee from Managing Director’s Office in isolation after testing positive for coronavirus
- Queen’s Medical Center building infectious disease unit
- Supreme Court holds hearing to discuss releasing OCCC inmates as COVID-19 cluster continues to grow
- Whistleblower says DOH lying about number of contact tracers
- Isolate, test, self-trace ways to crush COVID beyond the mask, hand washing and distancing