Second presumptive positive case for COVID-19 took a Hawaiian Airlines flight from Seattle to Honolulu

Coronavirus

UPDATE: Hawaiian Airlines has confirmed that the state’s second presumptive case of the COVID-19 came back to Honolulu from Seattle on flight HA21 on March 4th.


HONOLULU (KHON2) — The Hawaii Department of Health announced a second presumptive positive test result for COVID-19 in the state of Hawaii on Sunday, March 8.

According to Hawaii Governor David Ige, an ‘elderly’ resident of Oahu traveled to the state of Washington when the patient started to feel ill on March 2. The patient then returned to Hawaii on Hawaiian Airlines flight HA21 from Seattle to Honolulu on March 4.

Flight details revealed that the flight left Seattle-Tacoma International Airport around 7:17 a.m. PST and arrived at the Daniel K. Inouye International Airport in Honolulu at 11:31 a.m. HST.

“[The patient] immediately went to an urgent care facility because he wasn’t feeling well,” said Ige.

State Health Director Dr. Bruce Anderson confirmed that the patient went to a Kaiser Permanente urgent care facility, but did not specify which facility.

Three days later, the resident was taken to the hospital by ambulance on Saturday, March 7.

“A sample was taken because of his travel history to the state of Washington,” said Gov. Ige. “We confirmed the positive for COVID-19 this morning [March 8].

According to State Epidemiologist Dr. Sarah Park, the patient presumably “stayed at home in bed until the ambulance was called” during the three days between arrival in the state on March 4 and hospitalization on March 7.

Following the announcement made by Gov. Ige and State Health officials on March 8, Kaiser Permanente confirmed that they have a patient in their care.

“Per CDC infection control protocol, we can acknowledge that Kaiser Permanente has one coronavirus patient in isolation and as previously reported, is also overseeing the care of a patient who is home in self-isolation.”

Kaiser Permanente in a statement following the announcement on March 8

The company says that they will not provide detailed information about patients who are suspected of confirmed for COVID-19 “to support the Department of Health’s confidential investigation process and out of respect for the privacy of patients.”

State officials are currently working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and federal agencies to get more information about this case.

“We definitely will be working through his specific travels and the contacts he may have had. We will be identifying who they are and reaching out to inform them that they have had contact with someone who is presumptive positive with COVID-19,” said Gov. Ige.

Dr. Park says that based on the history that they have so far, they’re confident that there are very few in terms of direct contact in Hawaii.

But there is some good news, according to Dr. Anderson.

“We have not yet had any cases of COVID-19 that have been clearly transmitted among residents in Hawaii,” he said. “All the individuals we have identified so far have had a travel history to some area where COVID-19 is circulating outside of Hawaii.”

Officials say that they are still in the early stages of investigation and are currently in the midst of notification.

As of March 8, the DOH says that there have been 17 people in Hawaii tested for COVID-19. 15 tested negative and two are presumptive positive, or confirmed, cases. 75 are currently self-monitoring with DOH supervision.

Laboratory testing in Hawaii is also being conducted at the DOH State Laboratories Division and Tripler Army Medical Center, according to officials.

To watch the full press conference regarding the announcement, watch below:


Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories