WAIMEA, Hawaii (KHON2) — Polihale State Park on Kauai is closed indefinitely due to people’s bad behavior.
The state Department of Land and Natural Resources says it’s impossible to enforce park rules because of its size and isolated location.
DLNR says COVID-19 has exacerbated all those issues, and public health and safety concerns, contributed to the decision to close the park.
Officials say more than 1,000 people camped there recently, and several hundred trucks formed a line that stretched the entire beach.
Some were even racing and driving through dunes that contain Hawaiian burial sites and critically endangered plants.
Anyone who sees suspicious or illegal activity is asked to report it to the DLNR at 643-DLNR (3567).
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Hawaii’s hospitality industry prepares for spring break influx of visitors
- A spectacular underwater look at humpback whales, their amazing learned behaviors
- Hilton Hawaiian Village to resume ‘Waikiki Starlight Luau’
- Stimulus check latest: Biden urges Senate Democrats to rally behind $1.9T COVID-19 bill
- This week marks one year of coronavirus in Hawaii