HONOLULU (KHON2) – As schools prepare to reopen nationwide, some teachers, parents and students are fighting back.
[Hawaii news on the go–LISTEN to KHON 2GO weekday mornings at 7:30 a.m.]
Protesters from Los Angeles to New York have taken to the streets to send one message — bring back in-person learning, but only when it’s safe.
Doctor Anthony Fauci says that he is in favor of reopening schools, adding that the risk to children depends on the level of infection in the area.
“If the infection rate is so low that there’s very little chance of there being infection spread, then you should feel okay about doing it.” Dr. Fauci said.
School is already in session in some southern and Midwestern states, and it’s off to a rocky start.
More than 200 employees in Georgia’s largest school district have either tested positive or were exposed to the virus.
One Indiana student also tested positive on the first day back to school.
Latest Posts on KHON2
- Tampa mayor wants to fill Super Bowl seats with vaccinated health care workers
- Waianae’s Max Holloway makes weight ahead of Fight Island bout against Calvin Kattar
- Heavy rain could return to the islands starting late Sunday
- Officials investigating human skeletal remains found on Maui
- Call to artists for ‘PA’I Arts at Kou’