HONOLULU (KHON2) — This year there will be no Kamehameha Statue lei draping or floral parade.
All King Kamehameha celebration events have been canceled statewide because of the pandemic.
The festivities have surrounded the June 11 holiday for decades.
The King Kamehameha celebration commission says the decision to cancel was made so that the public can focus on their health, welfare and economy.
THE LATEST ON KHON2
- Frying pan left on the stove causes Kahaluu house fire
- Social media reacts to Max Holloway’s unanimous decision victory over Calvin Kattar at UFC on ABC 1
- President-elect Biden announces picks for science team as security tightens ahead of inauguration
- Watch: Two officers push unconscious teen driver to safety in ‘miracle’ rescue
- Coronavirus: 165 new COVID-19 cases; two new deaths reported on Jan.16