HILO, Hawaii (KHON2) — Avalon Health Care reported two COVID-related deaths on Sunday, Sept. 20, at the Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home.
This brings the facility’s resident death toll to 24.
Management officials announced the first death on Sunday around 3 p.m., but later around 8 p.m. they released that another resident died.
Fifty-two residents are currently at the veterans home and 18 are receiving care in the home’s COVID designated area.
Avalon Health Care also confirmed that another resident has tested positive for the virus, bringing the overall total to 70 residents and 32 employees have since the outbreak began at the facility.
There are five residents who are hospitalized at Hilo Medical Center.
As for recoveries, those numbers as of Sunday are 22 residents and 22 employees.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- WATCH: Cat makes death-defying jump from 5th floor of burning building – and survives
- POW! WOW! opens first exhibit at Bishop Museum
- Many Hawaii residents want to follow new CDC guidelines on masks, others not so much
- Hawaii property owners must meet deadline for final monthly payment option to avoid penalties
- Mysterious deed claims new ownership of Jeffrey Epstein’s New Mexico ranch