HILO, Hawaii (KHON2) — Avalon Health Care reported two COVID-related deaths on Sunday, Sept. 20, at the Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home.
This brings the facility’s resident death toll to 24.
Management officials announced the first death on Sunday around 3 p.m., but later around 8 p.m. they released that another resident died.
Fifty-two residents are currently at the veterans home and 18 are receiving care in the home’s COVID designated area.
Avalon Health Care also confirmed that another resident has tested positive for the virus, bringing the overall total to 70 residents and 32 employees have since the outbreak began at the facility.
There are five residents who are hospitalized at Hilo Medical Center.
As for recoveries, those numbers as of Sunday are 22 residents and 22 employees.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Roe v. Wade ruling injects new urgency into midterms for Democrats
- Man filmed attacking Asian American family at California drive-thru charged with hate crime
- Attorney for Petito family claims Roberta Laundrie sent Brian an ‘odd’ letter
- Rising interest rates mean it’s time to knock out your credit card debt
- ‘Raining fish’ that fell from sky in Texas were vomited by birds, researchers claim