HILO, Hawaii (KHON2) — Avalon Health Care reported two COVID-related deaths on Sunday, Sept. 20, at the Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home.
This brings the facility’s resident death toll to 24.
Management officials announced the first death on Sunday around 3 p.m., but later around 8 p.m. they released that another resident died.
Fifty-two residents are currently at the veterans home and 18 are receiving care in the home’s COVID designated area.
Avalon Health Care also confirmed that another resident has tested positive for the virus, bringing the overall total to 70 residents and 32 employees have since the outbreak began at the facility.
There are five residents who are hospitalized at Hilo Medical Center.
As for recoveries, those numbers as of Sunday are 22 residents and 22 employees.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Hawaii inmate dies at Saguaro Correctional Center
- State launches online tip portal to report unlicensed activity
- Free COVID-19 testing available on Hilo Monday
- Coffee leaf rust confirmed on Maui, possibly on Big Island
- Battling false information: Where to go for facts before Election Day