HONOLULU (KHON2) — Health officials are urging Kauai residents to get vaccinated as their daily COVID-19 case count rises.
Officials say there’s evidence of community spread and new variants.
Get Hawaii’s latest news sent to your inbox, click here to subscribe to News 2 You, a daily newsletter.
“A vast majority of our current cases are residents, not visitors, and a majority of them are community-acquired,” Dr. Janet Berreman, Kaua‘i District Health Officer, said in a statement on April 30. “Earlier this month we detected two of the more easily transmitted virus variants on Kaua‘i, and we are now seeing very high levels of transmission within households and at worksites. Thankfully, fully vaccinated people are mostly avoiding both the disease and the need to quarantine.
According to Berreman, 17 out of 47 cases are residents under 18 years old.
“Children can get and spread this disease, and are not eligible for vaccine,” she said. “The best way to protect them is for everyone in their household age 16 and over to get a vaccine.”
Weekend or evening appointments are now available at select clinic locations. Residents can choose the Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson vaccines based on the clinics.
To receive the Pfizer vaccine (age 16+), visit:
- Wilcox Medical Center in Līhu‘e (Saturday appointments available)
- Kauai Veterans Memorial Hospital (KVMH) in Waimea
- Samuel Mahelona Memorial Hospital in Kapa‘a
- Safeway Līhu‘e (weekend appointments available)
To receive the Moderna vaccine (age 18+), visit:
- Līhu‘e Pharmacy (Evening appointments available Wednesdays through Fridays, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.)
- Kaiser Permanente Līhu‘e clinic
- Longs ‘Ele‘ele and Kōloa (evening and Saturday appointments available)
- Safeway Kapa‘a (weekend appointments available)
- Walmart (Weekend appointments available)
To receive the one-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine (age 18+), visit:
If signing up for a two-dose vaccine, make both appointments at the same location to ensure you receive the same vaccine and that your doses are registered in the same system.
Click here for more information.