HILO, Hawaii (KHON2) — Four residents have died with ties to COVID-19 at Hilo Medical’s Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home, Avalon Healthcare reported on Saturday, Sept. 19.
Hawaii County Civil Defense reported Saturday morning that there were three deaths at the facility, but Avalon Healthcare later provided an update that confirmed one more death.
That number was reflected in the death toll, which now stands at 22.
Fifty-five residents are currently at the veterans home. Twenty-four are receiving care in the home’s COVID area.
Overall, 69 residents and 30 employees tested positive for the virus since the outbreak began.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- What lies ahead for the impeachment process against Trump?
- Blessing ceremony held at Hale O Meleana at St. Francis Kupuna Village on Oahu
- 70 month prison term for former government contractor who used bribery to secure Army contracts
- Registration begins Tuesday for virtual park activities
- DC takes ‘aggressive posture’ on security ahead of Inauguration Day