HONOLULU (KHON2) — New restrictions are now in effect on Oahu. There are some significant differences to the rules from what the Mayor laid out on Tuesday, Aug. 18.
Get news on the go with KHON 2GO, KHON’s morning podcast, every morning at 8
First and foremost, the new order says that social gatherings of any size will not be allowed in both public and private spaces.
This includes your home.
Being a part of a family of five or more is fine, but if you live by yourself, you’ll have to stay alone.
The city cleared up the confusion about the emergency order.
“For the purposes of this order a ‘social gathering’ is a gathering or event that brings together people from multiple households or living units at the same time for a discrete, shared or group experience in a single room, space, or place,” said the city in a news release.
Following the letter of the order, it means even couples who live in separate places are to stay separated. Visiting friends or even family will not be allowed until Wednesday, September 16.
But you can gather in a group of no larger than five in what the city is referring to as controlled spaces, which include places like shopping malls, grocery stores or restaurants.
“In our restaurant, what we will do is simply take chairs away so that no table has more than five,” said Greg Maples of the Hawaii Restaurant Association. “We will have to explain to guests when they make reservations, or come in you know when they have a large group they have to split up.”
Here’s a list of exemptions to this new order:
- To engage in activities or perform tasks essential to their health and safety, or to the health and safety of their family or household members (including, but not limited to, pets), such as, by way of example only and without limitation, obtaining medical supplies or medication, visiting a health care professional, or obtaining supplies needed to work from home.
- To obtain necessary services or supplies for themselves and their family or household members, or to deliver those services or supplies to others, such as, by way of example only and without limitation, canned food, dry goods, fresh fruits and vegetables, pet supply, fresh meats, fish, and poultry, and any other household consumer products, and products necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences.
- To engage in outdoor activity in locations as required or allowed by law, including this Order.
- To perform work providing products and services at an Essential Business, Designated Business or Operation, or to otherwise carry out activities specifically permitted in this Order, including Minimum Basic Operations.
- To care for a family member or pet in another household.
- To obtain services, goods, or supplies from, or engage in activities at, Essential Businesses (as defined in Section ll.F) and Designated Businesses and Operations (as defined in Section lI.G.).
- To visit graveyards, mausoleums, and similar sites consistent with the restrictions placed on gatherings in this Order.
Masks are now also required both indoors and out when you’re around people you don’t live with and you can’t physically distance.
The mayor is dialing back his plan to ban singing at religious services and says that it will be allowed as long as the singer is at least 10 feet away from another person. If the service is indoors, a physical barrier must be in place.
“Honestly, I don’t think [Tuesday]’s restrictions were consequential,” said Lt. Governor Josh Green. “I think it’s good to have smaller gatherings, but it was really the large gatherings outdoors. [Tuesday] was really just small changes.”
To view the full order, click here.
Latest Stories on KHON2
- Sept. 23: Renew your driver’s license; One Oahu high school is enforcing a zero tolerance for students who don’t wear masks
- Breezy trade winds, with clouds and showers are expected this week
- Drive-thru haunted house coming to Aloha Stadium in October
- ‘Say Yes! COVID tests’ distributed over 500,000 at-home kits on launch day
- Powerball jackpot soars to $523 million